Saturday, September 19, 2009

In the Beginning, Part Two, Why Start Now

    I'm a person who likes touchstones.   In the past I have started the journey at Yule.  The beginning of the new year seemed the logical starting point.  Yet, in the back of my mind it has always seemed a little like the mundane new year's resolution.  The logical starting point for the journey is actaully at the spring equinox.  In some respects the Fool is also the seed.  The seed that eventually grows into the World Tree.
     So why now?  Last year I was in the process of trying to leave a high stress job.  My daughter was going to be married in a year and I wanted a job that would give me the time and mental space to concentrate on the wedding.  I interviewed with two prospective employers.  Employer A offered everything I could want in a job except less stress.  The company was known for it's high stress, high action and great compensation packages.  Employer B offered less compensation but the steady low stress enviorment I needed. So, I went with employer B.
     Well, my stress free year to concentrate on the wedding turned out to be anything but.  The second week into the job my husband became seriously ill with a heart condition.  We made it through his hospitalizations and treatments and the holidays.  Then my previously stress free job became a study in dysfunction.  All of the key players were either fired or quit.  I was left as the only nurse manager who was not a "agency rent a nurse".  Work was fast becoming a nightmare, my husband was still home recovering and the wedding was looming ever closer.
    In the spring I injuried my foot, after limping around for four weeks I finally had surgery on it.  While recovering from the surgery I received a call from employer A.  Two days later I accepted their offer.
    Okay, now it's summer.  I've just started my new job and my father has a massive stroke.  I fly up to see him.  Two days later I come back home having arranged for him to be made care and comfort only.  The next day I see my foot surgeon and the cast comes off my foot.  Yipee.  The day after that my car gets rearended and the foot is once again injuried.  Two days later, my father passed away.
   So, after taking some time to melt down, help my daughter move to her new apartment and just breathe, I decided that my new year was going to begin.  That was on September 1'st.  It was closer to September 12'th when I decided to make the journey again.  And being the touchstone person that I am, I chose the equinox as my staring point.

No comments:

Post a Comment