Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"I Am But An Egg"

     I don't remember the original source for the quote "I am but an egg" but I do know I have heard it used many times in reference to being totally new at something.  Well, that is how I am approaching the first full day of my journey. 
   The Fool card represents many things.  In the most basic sense it is the beginning.  This card can be likened to a seed, an egg or any other embryonic metaphor we can think of.  I used to think of it as a seed, the seed that grows into the world tree at the end of the journey.  But lately I am more inclined to think of it as a starting point, the place where Dorothy starts off on the Yellow Brick Road, the place where Highway 61 began. 
   A seed may grow into a tree, but it never leaves the place it was planted.  To me a journey means traveling and experiencing things that you may not see if you stayed rooted to one place all the time.  
   So, I am for now but an egg and as such will be spending the next couple of weeks cleaning out my nest and restoring some much needed order and peace to my life.  This will be a time for active meditation, thinking while cleaning and trying on new ideas.  I bought the supplies today for the dream pillows and to start my "journey quilt" but that is only part of it.  My real hope is to end this quest with a better knowledge of who I am and what I want to be when I grow up.
     Many sources on the tarot place the Fool at the beginning of the deck, but others do place this card at the end.  The reasoning being that you can only be free to fully enjoy life  if you have already obtained  wisdom .  Thus the Fool can now go on his carefree way as he has the wisdom to avoid stepping off cliffs, drowning in rivers and running blindly from things that go bump in the night.
    To me the fool belongs at the beginning of any new venture, even if the journey had been made before.  As we all end to forget things as time passess.  He is seen as carefree, young and at times unwise.  What some cards depict as reckless, I see as unaware or forgetfull of dangers.  He is a child learning to ride a bike for the first time.  He is a woman who is living on her own after her husband has passed on.  He is a man learning a new trade after being laid off from his job.  He is an adult fulfilling a lifelong dream of learning to play the piano.  He is all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment