Thursday, September 17, 2009

In the Beginning, Part One, Why I'm Doing This

     The Tarot has been a large part of my life for over forty years.  I started using my first deck when I was twelve and have not been without at least one deck ever since.  To me the Tarot is not a means of "fortune telling".  I do not believe in divination per say.  I have done readings for others, but I always tell them my philosophy before hand.  Daily horoscopes and palm reading may be fun, but the future is anything but certain.  Once we know the future, we have the power to change it. 
     To me, the Tarot, and to the same extent but on a different level the Runes, are a tool of meditation and focus.  If I'm worried about something at work but can't quite put my finger on the problem, I'll draw a card and meditate upon it's meaning.  This simple method works for me more often than not.
     Over the years I have tried to make the "Fools Journey" many times.  But, each time, even if  I completed all twenty-two cards, I never felt as if I'd "done it right".  It had felt as if I studied the cards but did not really try to live their meanings.  Now, as I'm getting deeper into middle age I feel the need to at least try one more time.
     My nest is now empty, I have a challenging career and a loving husband.  I also have hobbies that I enjoy and a home to enjoy them in.  Yet, I still feel unfulfilled.  Something is missing in my life, and by making the journey I hopeto discover what it is.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment